Friday, June 30, 2006

insurance

I can't believe some of the pictures I am seeing from the Binghamton area. Places are covered that no one remembers ever being flooded. The area has grown and some of these places did not have buildings and parks on them 50 years ago. I am getting old enough to remember things like floods *before* Otsiningo Park existed. The area in Vestal where all the stores are now -- there was nothing there. When I moved here the only store I shopped at was Montgomery Wards, the anchor store to the future mall. That was in 1975.

Here is what is disturbing:

From the Oneonta Press:
Homeowner policies don’t cover flood losses unless the person has bought flood insurance, said LaDonna Lilley, office manager for the Gordon B. Roberts Agency in Oneonta.

"They’ll send a letter saying your policy does not include the peril of flood," Lilley said Thursday.



We will are becoming the little new orleans of the North -- help from FEMA is being promised. Let's hope FEMA can offer more assistance than in the past.

No comments: